Tall mahogany pier mirror with fine book matched veneers, the leaf carved cornice with egg and dart molding over the frieze with applied beadwork; the mirror plate with carved molding. Labeled "Carl Ebert, St. Petersbourg" in German, Cyrillic and French.
Russia c. 1820
82.5" high x 35.5" wide x 43.5", max width
Condition: Beautiful color and patina. Light scratches to the mirror plate, minor repairs to the frame, as expected.
Carl Ebert was the patriarch of an important family of Russian mirror makers. By 1814 he was conducting regular business with the Imperial Glass Factory. In 1821 he supplied mirror glass to the Grand Palace of Tsarskoye Selo. Little else is known about him and few of his signed mirrors have survived. His son, Ivan Ebert, became the official manufacturer and supplier to the Imperial Court in 1870.